Keywords are at the foundation of any SEO strategy, and it’s imperative that content developers select them carefully. However, putting together a list of effective keywords takes more than brainstorming. To determine which keywords will help you outrank the competition and ultimately be the most profitable, research must be conducted. Here are the 10 best tools to help your business identify which keywords and phrases need to be integrated into your SEO plan:
1. Google AdWords Keyword Planner – This tool was created for AdWords bidders but is the most extensively used keyword research tool. The tool effectively measures the popularity of different keywords based on the words’ and pharses’ Google search volume. It is also free of cost.
2. SEOMoz Keyword Difficulty Tool – This keyword tool is one of the best paid options for evaluating key phrases. The tool won’t help a user find keywords but will offer insight (in the areas of estimated traffic, competition analysis, and ranking difficulty) into each keyword idea you present. A user can also choose to analyze their words and phrases based on Google, Bing, or Yahoo search data.
3. Google Trends – This site provides data on which keywords are currently popular as well as what has been popular within the last month. The data is based on what was searched for through Google. It takes search data from all around the world and keeps track of what language each term or phrase was searched in. Its hot trends section updates hourly for businesses looking to be super relevant in their content development.
4. Keyword Discovery – Keyword Discovery is another great paid keyword research option. The site does, however, offer a free trial and includes the largest keyword database from more than 200 search engines worldwide.
5. Ubersuggest – Ubersuggest is considered to be one of the most user-friendly keyword research tools, and unlike many of the more traditional keyword research tools, it pulls its list of suggestions based on global research.
6. SEMRush – SEMRush is an extremely adaptable keyword research tool. It also provides users with PPC information to help determine the profitability of keywords.
7. Amazon Search Suggest – If a content developer is looking for transactional terms, Amazon.com can be a useful tool. Ideas can be generated by typing a keyword idea and its synonyms into the search box.
8. SpyFu.com – This tool offers great features to spy on a business’ competition. The tool also provides a Keyword Smart Search that generates ideas based on the competition’s strategy. Some of SpyFu’s basic tools can be used for free, but a user must become a paid member to utilize all of its features.
9. Hubspot Keyword Grader SEO Tool – HubSpot software includes a variety of inbound marketing tools, including a Keyword Grader. This tool will let a user know if a keyword will be ineffective and will suggest alternatives. It also tracks a business’ competitors and monitors search rankings.
10. Wordtracker – Wordtracker is a very popular and simple keyword research tool, offering users long lists of keyword suggestions as well as an algorithm to help evaluate the level of competition. The tool also tracks the rankings of a business’ targeted keywords. Wordtracker is a paid keyword research option but offers a free, one-week trial.
What tools have you found to be useful when conducting keyword research? Post your suggestions in the comment section or on Baer Performance Marketing’s Facebook Page!